Scheduling iOS tasks

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Feb 16 10:59:40 EST 2012

Mike Kerner wrote:
> Is there a way to schedule LC-built iOS apps to do something in the
> background occasionally?

Unlike most OSes, iOS has such a strong priority for battery life that
the definition of "multitasking" is a bit different than what you may be
used to, amounting in most cases to something more like suspend/resume
than true background operation.

In iOS 4 and earlier, if memory serves there were only four APIs that
could be used in the background, so most apps had no functionality at
all unless they were the active one.

With iOS 5 the range of APIs available to background apps has broadened
dramatically, but it's still just a slender subset of what an app might
otherwise do so most operations remain verboten for all but the active app.

It's my understanding that LiveCode for iOS doesn't currently
differentiate between everything it does and the subset that Apple
allows in the background, so all LC operations are suspended when put
into the background.

Hopefully that'll change, and RunRev will at least allow our apps to
have the same background functionality that other iOS apps can have.

But even if they do, you may want to review the iOS developer
documentation at Apple to determine if what you want your app to do in
the background is even supported at all in that OS.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation