How alive is LiveCode?

Lynn Fredricks lfredricks at proactive-intl.com
Sat Feb 11 01:51:36 EST 2012

> I want to write  databased applications to take care of some of the
> pain-points at my current employment.   And if this works
> out I'd like to extend it to the full application - which is
> your normal professional billing program.
> I'm using VFP right now and would have no reluctance to
> continue using it if it were still in development.  For
> ad-hoc reporting and querying it's the best.  VFP covers all
> of the bases including report writing, a built in db, SQL
> support (sort of) and I can see that with LiveCode I'm going
> to have to add external tools to fill in the gaps. Thanks for
> the responses.

Visual Fox Pro was a great product, but I wouldn't say LiveCode falls short.
LiveCode has to do a lot more.

At Paradigma Software, we've had many who have come from VFP to Valentina DB
+ a flexible cross platform tool like LiveCode. On the reporting side, we
developed Valentina Reports - this also works with SQLite and Postgre (with
MySQL support coming). Fortunately Runtime has consistently nurtured
excellent relations with its third party community, and we've never had any
problems integrating either solution with LiveCode.

And I encourage you to build a front end with LiveCode + Valentina DB (you
get can a free copy of our server from our site), populate it with a million
records, then do the same with your aging copy of VFP - then run a few
complex queries. I think you'll find our combination of strengths will do
more than just fill the gaps ;-)

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
President