Find string "xxx" in field yyy OF THIS CARD

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Fri Feb 3 16:19:01 EST 2012

On the off chance that you are not pulling my leg, SQL is a query language intended to work with dissimilar database engines, so that a database driven application does not have to depend upon a proprietary database engine. There are other advantages, but that is the main one.

LC provides the ability to connect to several kinds of SQL engines, as well as creating and accessing sqLite file based databases on your hard drive. Once you get the data into an SQL database (not that difficult) you can use the query language to find just about anything about the data.

In practice there are some differences in the syntax and capabilities of different flavors of SQL, but each have resources on the web that can be used to glean the proper syntax. I resisted SQL for a long time, and still only use it in a fairly rudimentary fashion, but when working with large amounts of data, it is a great thing to learn.

Forgive me if I took the bait and just made a fool of myself. ;-)

Bob