Quit keyboard for Windows

Roger Eller roger.e.eller at sealedair.com
Sat Oct 1 14:35:35 EDT 2011

On Sat, Oct 1, 2011 at 1:07 PM, Charles Szasz wrote:

> In the Menu Builder, I have always set Quit for the Mac with the Mnemonic
> checked and set to Q alone with the Shortcut set to Command.  I frequently
> use a Quit button in my apps which the user could quit an app.
>
> I just noticed a few days ago that this keyboard combination of Command + Q
> works on the Mac, which I develop on it, but does not work on Windows. Do I
> also need to set the Shortcut for Windows to Control as a shortcut?
>
> Charles Szasz
> cszasz at mac.com

Alt-F4 is standard for close/quit on Windows.  Using a Mac keyboard, it
would be Option-F4.  Another method to quit on Windows (using Internet
Explorer as an example), with the IE window in focus, do the following:

Press the alt key, and release it.  You will see the menu bar highlight, and
underlined letters become visible.

The File menu will have an underlined "F".
Press "F" alone (no modifier key).

The file menu opens, and you can see the "Close" option with an underlined
"C".
Press "C" alone (no modifier key).

The window closes.

˜Roger