liveCode server on UBUNTU

Mike Bonner bonnmike at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 15:15:11 EST 2011

Ok. The folders in question are /etc/apache2/mods-available and
/etc/apache2/mods-enabled.

At the command line follow the steps.

cd /etc/apache2/mods-enabled
sudo ln -s /etc/apache2/mods-available/actions.* .
# note the period at the end of the line. That means current directory so
it knows to create
#the links in the place you are. (IE /etc/apache2/mods-enabled which we
cd'd to in step
#1.
#The links should now be there. If you type ls for a directory listing they
should be there.

#While in here edit dir.conf
sudo nano dir.conf
#nano is an easy editor that should be installed. Used to be called pico.
#Where it says directory index, add your default file to be read. IE
index.lc
#I like to add it at the front of the line so it has priority over
index.html etc.
#ctrl-o to save
#ctrl-x to exit

cd /etc/apache2/sites-enabled
# by default there is most likely 1 file, something like 000-default
sudo nano 000-default
# to set up /var/www as your default directory, enabled with livecode
change the following section to match.

        <Directory /var/www/>
                Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews ExecCgi
                AllowOverride None
                Order allow,deny
                allow from all
                AddHandler livecode-script .lc
                Action livecode-script /cgi-bin/livecode-server
        </Directory>
#Notice also the ScriptAlias section. This says where the default cgi-bin
directory is.
#in my case its /usr/lib/cgi-bin/ so if you place your livecode files where
it
#indicates, apache should be able to find them.
#my folder /usr/lib/cgi-bin/ contains livecode-server and its 2 folders,
drivers and externals

#At this point lets restart apache.
sudo /etc/rc5.d/S*apache2 stop
#wait for cursor to come back
sudo /etc/rc5.d/S*apache2 start
# wait again.

If you have a webpage .lc file to try, put it in /var/www and see if it
works. If not, do as andre said and see if you can execute it on the
command line.  (might do andres part first)  If there are still problems
you might need to set livecode-server to executable, or.. well that bridge
shouldn't be too tough to cross hopefully.