Rev Customer Databased Hacked?

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Tue Jul 12 14:28:56 EDT 2011

On 12/07/2011 18:58, Bob Sneidar wrote:
> For the record, I have a password philosophy that has served me well. I have one set of credentials I use for local logons, like computer accounts and file servers. I have a second set for anything that accesses the internet, but does not contain information that can hurt me. I have a third set that I use for internet accounts where I can be hurt. I NEVER use one set in another environment.
That's pretty close to what I do, though I have two levels of "hurt"
(general websites that could be compromised, another for banking, credit
cards, etc.)

I will also willingly share my method for generating easily-remembered
passwords.

I take
  - the car license number of a car I used to own  (or a friend used to own)
  - treat it as N groups of letters, or of numbers
  - change the order of those groups
  - reverse the order of one of the groups
  - append or prepend the year I bought that car in
(and also add punctuation, but I won't go into details on that).

This generates passwords I can easily remember (or easily re-create from
what I do remember), but would be difficult for anyone else to find out
(and will be generally hard to guess by brute force).  It does help that
I've owned cars in more than one country :-)

-- Alex.