OT: Waiting for DNS to update a new site.

wayne durden wdurden at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 11:38:27 EDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 11:19 AM, stephen barncard <
stephenREVOLUTION2 at barncard.com> wrote:

> Propagation used to take days. These days it seems to take just minutes or
> hours at Dreamhost or ON-Rev. Your milage may vary

I agree with this, propagation in general is very very quick now.  One think
else to check which I have found to be the case on Windows with Firefox is
that the browser is somehow caching the old version of the path to the
resource and refreshing is still using that old DNS address to the URL.

This can be checked from another computer at the same location that hasn't
logged into the page (it will find the new) while the other computer still
shows the old resource.

Completely quitting firefox and reloading will then find the new correct
URL.  I don't know the technicalities of the situation but the macro view is
as if the browser has cached the old DNS lookup to the URL as opposed to
simply caching the resources at that address and simply navigates the old
path.  I don't know if there is another way to refresh that part, it never
was a big enough problem to simply restart Firefox.

Wayne