on-rev server question

Jim MacConnell jmac at consensustech.com
Sat Nov 27 14:16:30 EST 2010

Tom,
Haven't been paying attention to this thread and apologize cuz maybe I could have helped earlier. I tend to jump in too late with a way too simplistic view and end up just making things worse... still here goes.

First things first. This isn't all that complicated. All you are doing is buying a name. Setting that name to point to a server and telling the server where to find the index.html file for that name.

All you need for the someone.com to work :
1. a valid domain name (You've got that),
2. the Name servers for that domain pointed to your server (in this case ns1 and ns2 for on-rev... you've got that)
3. an arbitrary folder in your public_html folder that will contain the files for the site AND inside that folder, a file named index.html (This you may not have), and
4. an Add-on domain pointing to the folder from 3 (this is being the problem).

NOTE: If you do #4 first, it will try to create the folder for you but you don't need to use the folder it suggests/creates. THis is good in case the auto-approach fails.
NOTE: You don't need anything from GoDaddy other than the domain name and setting nameservers...... Don't pay for anything else!
NOTE: You don't need a subdomain.. all that is is an easy way to point to a folder. It doesn't hurt but is not part of setting up a website and is not in anyway associated with the mechanics of web browsing
(i.e.  someone.lazyriver.on-rev.com is bsasically on-rev.com/lazyriver/public_html/lazyriver/someone/ )

The new version of cPanel tries to help a lot but it may be getting in the way by auto suggesting things.
e.g. an error that the addon was not added because it already exists BUT it is not in the list and I'm now stuck.
First guess is the list hadn't refreshed yet. Second guess is this is saying is that the "pointed to" folder already exists but for some reason it can't overwrite it. You could try to select the file manually rather than let the wizard do it.

Question #1
Do you have a folder created in public_html to hold the site files?

Use File Manger in cPanel to check. It will probably have the name "someone.com" from before.
a) If you find it, check to see if it has an "index.html" file in it. If it does fine, otherwise just create a blank one. (Got to next question)
NOTE: I hate the added .com on the autosuggested name and would remove it but of it does no harm.
b) If it isn't there, let's go old school  and create one in File Manager.... New Folder...  Then, in that folder, create a New File named index.html. You ca name the folder anything you want to.. it doesn't matter. you just need to make sure you use the name for Question #3

Question #2
Have you got an Add-On domain setup for the domain name?

a) From cPanel, go to Addon Domains. Does your domain show up in the list? If yes, then go to next question.
b) If not, create it
New Domain Name  ---> someone.com
Document Root ---> public_html/folder from Q#1
IF this doesn't work... the list of add-on domains on the on-rev server may have gotten corrupted because

Question #3
Does the Document Root of the Addon Domain you created "point" to public_html/folder from Q#1?

If yes, things should work. If not then you need to fix it so that it does. The easiest way to do this is to Remove the Addon and then recreate it by going back to Question #2.

If after going through this you still can't get it to work, there is a problem on the on-rev side that you won't be able to fix. Customer Support time.
Hope this helps.
Jim