Stress-testing SQLite

Lynn Fredricks lfredricks at proactive-intl.com
Mon Nov 1 11:09:00 EDT 2010

> > Check out information from one user from about eight years
> ago (!) in
> > building a kiosk project, comparing Valentina with MS Access. Of
> > course, you probably wouldn't do this with Access today, but worth
> > considering is that this is with major hardware constraints, the
> > overhead of Director, and that since then most systems of Valentina
> > are exponentially faster now and we've added a huge number
> of other improvements (64 bit version, etc).
>
> Seems really interesting. Is Valentina server able to run as
> a LiveCode server companion ? Is it way to install it in an
> on-rev account ?

Right now, no, but its something that will come in time. Its something both
we and Runtime need to implement.

> Went Access ever some thing else than a poor and unreliable
> way to store data ? I never used it in a production-state
> project... I liked to have to do with direct-to-disk
> flat-file-based MC/Rev db, SQLServer (a Sybase technology, as
> anyone should remember), Sybase ASE, PostgreSQL or even
> Oracle 8i to 11g. I never got pleasure and confidence to run
> MySQL but it seems i will get good time in testing Valentina,
> hopefully, in the near.

Using Access for anything other than a simple desktop type db never would
have occurred to me either, but a lot of folks will build custom front ends
with its built in script or VB, or even try to share it on a network or
server. In fact, a friend of mine in the federal government (USA) told me
about several projects that cost millions of dollars in labor, but in fact
were very simple VB + Access projects.

I am sometimes shocked by some of the questions we get from developers who
want to implement a structure that dramatically increases the chance of data
corruption, often to shave a very few bucks off a project in license fees or
shave off a few hours of work.

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
President