Dispatch-Sending keyDown

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Fri Oct 23 16:21:18 EDT 2009

Craig-

> No problem with passing keydown, wherever it appears. Or explicitly putting
> the character after the field. I just wanted to understand why explicitly
> sending the message fails. Purely academic at this point.

If you mean explicitly "dispatching", then it *is* working. You're
intercepting the "keydown" message, then dispatching it directly to
the stack. The stack is never going to put the char into your field
unless you tell it to.

By not "passing" the keydown message you're interfering with the
normal message control path. In some cases this is exactly what you
want to do: for a password field, for instance, you would want to
intercept the char, store it away somewhere, and put a cummy char in
its place in the field. In that case you do *not* want to pass the
original char.

But by dispatching the message you're saying "don't handle this char
here, but instead bypass the normal handling and give the char
directly to the stack script." If it's not handled there it will get
passed on to the backscripts, engine, etc. But nothing is going to
place the char into your field because you've very explicitly stopped
that from happening.

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net