Applying the concept of Images libraries (vector and bitmaps )

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Thu Oct 8 20:51:37 EDT 2009

Recently, capellan wrote:

> One of the most frequent request that i found, is the
> possibility of reusing images (vector and bitmaps) across
> different stacks and reusing the same images in the one
> stack with variations in size, ink effects, inside groups, etc,
> without including the same images several times, to achieve
> the desired effect.
>
> Notice that Graphics software, like Adobe Ilustrator, Flash
> and Xara have implemented this concept:
> http://www.jnack.com/adobe/flash/symbols.html
>
> How could we implement this concept with our stacks,
> so there is not need to import the same bitmaps or
> vector graphics to apply different effects or dimensions
> in different cards?

One way to implement symbols with images is (ironically) by using buttons or
graphics: set the icon of a button or the backPattern of a graphic to the id
of an image.  This effectively allows you to have one "source" image in your
stack that is referenced in multiple places; changing the source image will
cause all references to the source to update.

If one can live with external files, the fileName property is another way to
implement symbolic references for images.

For graphics, the only roundabout way I can think of implementing some kind
of symbolic reference is by retrieving properties of a source graphic and
applying the properties to a reference graphic.  Obviously, this is not a
true symbolic connection, but rather a klunky workaround.

The really phenomenal aspect of symbols in Flash comes into play via
distortions: in most cases, if you distort a symbol on the stage, say by
adjusting its dimensions, skew, angle, or some other property, then
replacing that symbol with another symbol causes the newly replaced symbol
to inherit the modifications of the original symbol.  In my view, this is a
seriously powerful feature of Adobe's symbol implementation that would be
great to see in Rev.

For myself, I believe there are more pressing items desperately needed, such
as sub-pixel positioning of objects and irregular distortion of images.

FWIW.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director