Another newb question - How to you clear a field?

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sat May 9 12:27:45 EDT 2009

Francis Nugent Dixon wrote:
> Hi from Paris,
>
> Jacqueline,
>
> Did I correctly understand what you put in your recent post :
>
>> And if literal
>> names are not quoted, the engine takes twice as long to execute the
>> statement because of the additional lookup.
>
> Do you mean that the statement :
>
> If field "MyField" = "YES" then .......
>
> executes twice as fast as :
>
> If field MyField = "YES" then .......

Yes, that is what I meant. But Dave Cragg disproved my theory, since
apparently the engine works at the same speed in either case (but I am
still having trouble believing it; it seems counter-intuitive.) I think
it is better scripting form to quote literals in any case though. It
saves misinterpretation later on when you re-read your scripts, and in
some cases could prevent the engine from mis-interpreting your literal
values as variable names.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com