"ss" function

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Thu Mar 19 16:09:36 EDT 2009

DunbarX at aol.com wrote:

> For example, unless I missed it (again), you have to have all tabs already
> open to search all scripts in a stack.

We may not be talking about the same dialog. The script editor does have
its own, but outside the editor, under the Edit menu, is "Find and
Replace". This can search almost everything for almost anything. No
scripts need to be open. For example, to search all scripts in the
current stack:

1. Uncheck all options except for "script"
2. Choose "This stack" from the popup button

You get a list of all hits, and double-clicking any hit opens its script
editor.

You can use this dialog to search more than just scripts; you can search
for all objects with a certain name, all field text, etc. and in
addition you can use powerful regular expressions to do wildcard
matches. You can search part of the current stack, the whole stack, the
stackfile, or even all stacks inside a particular folder. You can
combine search options to look at, for example, all field text and all
script text, but nothing else.

The separate script editor find dialog also has its uses but as you say,
it will search only the scripts you currently have open. Sometimes
that's all you want though. It's a different tool intended for a
different use. It's faster but more limited.

> And I think the way the dialog loads the string to search for can be
> improved, for example, if the dialog is already open, you cannot just select a
> string in an existing script and hit Cmd-Shift-F to load that new string. You
> have to either type it in or close the dialog and invoke the shortcut.

I'd like to see this too. It's the only thing I miss.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com