Arrays and Custom Props

Paul Looney support at ahsomme.com
Mon Feb 16 12:58:33 EST 2009

Bob,
Think of custom properties as fields - without some of the field
overhead.
Putting information in custom properties and retrieving it is much
faster than using fields. And you can create and delete custom
properties on the fly much more easily than with fields - with less
code.
Two field features that cps lack are visibility (which is probably an
advantage for the storage you want) and chunk handling (you can not
refer to "line 3 of uMyUniqueCustomProperty" - but you can load the
property into a variable to get this information).
Like with fields, you can not store user information in a custom
property in an application (or standalone). This is actually a good
thing. By storing the user information in cps in a separate (call it
"Preferences" stack?) these settings not only survive the current
session, and subsequent sessions, they even survive an update of your
application (because you send the new app and the user retains the
prior Preferences). Plus it is easier to update and test apps without
having built-in customer information.
If you are only concerned with persistence of some items through
runtime, you should probably store these items in globals.
Paul Looney