my programming life (was: Re: Rotating images)

Colin Holgate coiin at rcn.com
Sat Apr 25 17:45:23 EDT 2009

On Apr 25, 2009, at 3:47 PM, Randall Reetz wrote:

> Just as i suspected.  Life long nerds should never be alowed to
> publically use the word "easy".

Well, that slightly misquotes me. What I said was:

"If you mean ActionScript, it's not hard once you get over your fears
of it."

I was stubbornly just doing HyperCard at the time I had to learn
Director, and stubbornly just doing Director when I had to learn
Flash. There are a lot of Flash users who hate Director, with no good
reason, and a lot of Director users who hate how different the Flash
environment is to Director. Hopefully I never did hate Flash, but I
was resistant to learning it, just because everyone else was using it
wasn't a convincing argument to me at the time.

What makes something difficult is just familiarity. To move an object
horizontally by its own width amount is this in Rev:

    set the left of me to the left of me + the width of me

this in Director:

   spritenum = the spritenum of me
   sprite(spritenum).loch = sprite(spritenum).loch +
sprite(spritenum).width

and in this in Flash:

   x += width;

The Flash one may only seem to be harder because you're not adjusted
to the way the language works. Once you're over that, it's no harder
than the other two ways of working.