[OT] Shockwave on Linux

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sat Apr 25 05:43:21 EDT 2009

Thanks, Bernard, for you suggestion; I have been running WINE on various
machines
for the last 4 years, oddly enough as a way of testing Windows
standalones from
Runtime Revolution stacks :)

Also one of my sons was mucking around with some silly free blackjack
games for
Windows . . . Yuck!

However . . . the situation in my school is rather different as I deal
mainly with 7 -12
year old children who do not have English as a native language, and
belong to the
"attention-deficit-click-click-I-want-it-now" generation - and the main
concern is
to stop them performing multiple clicks (because, let's face it, 2
seconds is a lifetime,
isn't it . . . Ha, Ha, Ha) in funny places while something loads.

I am actually working with .swf files, which I, like many others,
thought, wrongly,
meant that they were Shockwave files (just as, similarly, I thought that
.dcr files
were Director files !!!!!!). There are quite a few ways to play these
files on the
slow Pentium IIIs without invoking WINE (which really does hit them);
the easiest
and lightest (in terms of RAM consumption) seems to be swfdec-gnome. Adobe
have released a Flash player for Linux, but it is full of needless
eye-candy,
only seems to work with Ubuntu 8.04 up (and I run Ubuntu 5.04/5.10 in my
school), only works as a browser plug-in, and so on.

I have a handful of .swf files sitting inside a directory on the
desktops and really
need that a double click on one of them loads them directly into
something that
has an absolutely minimal interface (see comments above about the
sticky-finger
brigade): swfdec-gnome does exactly that.

Now, my next problem is to see whether I can install swfdec-gnome downstairs
from a .tar file instead of hauling each Pentium box up and down the
stairs to connect
to the internet and a bit of aptitude . . .

Runtime Revolution led me "astray" this morning when, possibly rather
naively, I
imported a .swf file as a video file (well . . . it let me do it) and
tried to play it as a
videoClip and ended up with a lot of 'spaghetti'. It would be jolly nice
if one could
play them like this (think of the mysterious "Hypercard 3" which would have
allowed Hypercard stacks to be played in a Quicktime player and then
stand things
on their heads). One could leverage the interactivity of .swf inside the
interactivity
of Runtime Revolution :)

sincerely, Richmond Mathewson.