Image File Picker

Jesse Sng jsng at wayoflife.org
Sat Sep 6 08:21:11 EDT 2008

>Rev just calls the operating system to display its standard file
>dialog. If the OS doesn't support previews in that dialog, there
>isn't much you can do. That's why it works automatically in Leopard
>(where this feature was added) but not in Tiger. It works in Windows
>if the user sets the view to "thumbnail", but of course the
>developer has no control over that.
>
>I suppose one could write an external to do it.

Ah, I've found out what's going on. Nobody caught it earlier but the
solution was to use "answer file" and not "ask file".

I've had a habit of mixing up the two of them ever since 1989 when I
was using Hypercard. The previews now show up correctly.

What added to the confusion was that in OS X the dialog windows were
very similar, with only the previews disabled, but they would still
show a file icon for preview, unlike Classic OS and I was very used
to distinguishing the 2 diferent dialog windows by how they "look".

Jesse Sng