OT: Programming as a profession-the "practice" model

Joe Lewis Wilkins pepetoo at cox.net
Sun Mar 16 14:37:00 EDT 2008

Some excellent points, Marian.

I'm a little disappointed that you didn't include Architecture in your
listing of "practices"; even more so by computer science's use of the
term architect in various aspects of the work to be done. Actually,
following my involvement with computers, I became a much better
Architect due to several realizations. I've mentioned this before,
elsewhere; but I believe it is worth mentioning again. In my earlier
days as an Architect, I found myself procrastinating, being unwilling
to actually start work on a project; mostly by being overwhelmed with
the magnitude of what needed to be done.

Once I started breaking things down, solving "little" bits and pieces,
the project started to be less imposing. Then it even started to be
fun. But I always felt guilty about the earlier procrastination. After
spending some time trying to program Macs, reading a lot of books on
many programming languages, making a whole bunch of false starts, I
came upon the concept of breaking the problem down into small,
resolvable pieces; solving what I knew how to solve; and researching
how to do the things that I didn't already know how to resolve.

Unfortunately, this was never taught "specifically" at U.C. Berkeley
where I got my architectural degree. Maybe it was implied, since we
did spend an enormous amount of time with preliminary designs and
working with "programs" for projects; however, the programs for the
projects were always handed to us as a part of our assignments, with
no realization of the process. Had I been studying Computer Science,
that would have been one of the first things I would have be taught.
(I think!) I learned this very quickly when I started writing Handlers
and Functions for my computer programs.

I now apply this mentality to Architecture, and have come to realize
that "procrastination" (but by a different name) is part of all
problem solving. It is during this "procrastination" process that we
digest the requirements of a project, and start breaking it down into
"aha! I can solve that" bits and pieces. The time is not wasted.
Sometimes it even saves time by coming up with a better approach than
might have been taken had we plunged right into "doing it".
Incidentally, this list is a great resource for that "procrastination
process", and then for the subsequent "researching" process. I only
wish Architects had a similar resource, but I'm afraid we're too
egotistical to admit that we don't have all the answers ourselves. You
never hear an Architect self-label themselves as "newbies".  (enormous
smile!)

Joe Wilkins