OT: Programming as a profession-the "practice" model

Marian Petrides, M.D. mpetrides at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 16 14:56:39 EDT 2008

Oops. Sorry, Joe. That was not supposed to be an all-inclusive list
(it didn't include, for example, my sister's profession either--
educator). And there are many others, too.

No offense was intended--I hope none was taken.

I entirely agree that the lessons learned from programming have made
me a better physician and vice versa.  In fact, what I like best about
programming is the application of the scientific method in a context
that SHOULD be internally consistent. That is to say, if I do the same
thing twice it should yield the same result.  (Try that with human
patients if you want an exercise in frustration.) Then again, I'm one
of those weird people who actually enjoys beta testing.  Hmm...
diagnostic medicine as beta testing... works for me. ;-)

 >>>I only wish Architects had a similar resource, but I'm afraid
we're too egotistical to admit that we don't have all the answers
ourselves. You never hear an Architect self-label themselves as
"newbies".  (enormous smile!)

Oh, yeah.  And I hear my residents calling themselves "newbies" every
day.  (NOT!) :-)