Another Revolution?

Mikey mikeythek at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 22:47:27 EST 2008

Mark,
I've been reading through the source of the TO game, and I THINK what
they told you, or what you think they told you, is not the whole
story.

It appears that almost all of the work is being performed in the
browser, as you would expect for an Ajax application.  I could be
wrong, but I don't see the code where the game goes back to the server
to figure out what to do next.  It appears to to all be JS, as you
would expect.  This is actually comforting, since it means that unless
I'm blind, they are a lot closer to the current generation of Ajax
development tools than one may have thought otherwise.

It would make sense that there are both browser and server components.
 That is what you would expect.

I am a little bit surprised though that I don't recognize the
framework they're using.  I would have expected them to try to
short-circuit the process and use Prototype, or Dojo, or one of the
others and just drop calls onto that, but I don't see anything that
looks like either to me yet.

On the topic of obfuscation, it doesn't appear that they tried hard to
do that either, yet, but that isn't surprising, given that this isn't
a release candidate product yet.

If someone else wants to take a crack at the code (or if someone from
TileStack is now monitoring this thread), I'd appreciate some feedback
if I'm wrong, and where I should be looking for same.

Have a good weekend, all.