OT: Apple Announces Its Last Year at Macworld

Jeff Reynolds jeff at siphonophore.com
Wed Dec 17 23:58:43 EST 2008

Yes i think its a bit of a combo of all the ones mentioned, convention
costs going way up for vendors (have heard of this in a lot of
different fields from publishing to housewares to computers.) Also as
you mention its a lot easier to disseminate information these days and
also make a stir and grab the eyeballs w/o the competition of all the
other vendors at the same time. Also the cost of transportation of
both people and material has skyrocketed of late and the charges for
moving stuff from the loading docks to the show floor in some venues
can be quite high.

I also wonder if they want Apple stock price to be more controllable
as Apple has historically been a very volatile stock and it usually
revolved around mac worlds.

Lastly i wonder if Apple is just seeing the writing on the walls with
travel getting more expensive and harder that folks may just not be in
the mood much any more to attend conferences like these that are
mainly trade shows. I loved comdex, mac world, NAB, CES but these days
its really hard for me to think about spending the money and time and
effort to attend a trade show anymore. nothing like seeing something
in person, but then again I have not had to really see any major
hardware purchases for exhibits in person for a long time now and the
last few trade shows have given me very few leads to new items to use.

tis a changing world...

cheers,

jeff

On Dec 17, 2008, at 11:12 PM, use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com