problem with drag-dropping a text string

Peter Brigham pmbrig at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 10:29:16 EDT 2008

I still can't get it to work. Jacque, thanks for the tip about the
allowableDragActions -- that makes the copy vs move part work
reliably. But no matter what I do I can't set the dragdata (or the
dragdata["text"]) to a modified text string and get it to drop into
the target field. I've tried transforming the text in a dragStart
handler per Eric's suggestion and setting the dragdata then, I've
tried doing it in a dragEnter in the target field script. I even
tried using a global, myDragData, that is set in the drag start and
then in the dragenter handler I set the dragdata["text"] to
myDragData. All fail. No matter what I do I have not been able to
*set* the dragData or the dragData["text"] to any string and have it
actually drop that string into my target field. It's acting as though
the 'set the dragData...' command is ignored no matter where I try to
do it.

Also, an empty dragDrop handler in the target field blocks the drop.
Doesn't this mean that the dragDrop message is sent *before* the
drop? So it still seems to me that if I could set the dragData at
all, I ought to be able to do it in the dragDrop handler in the
target field. Well, I'll take a look at the tutorial on the subject
when I get a moment (I already have a full-time non-rev job...).

Could someone try setting the dragData["text"] to "finally got it to
work!" and give me a recipe?

Peter M. Brigham
pmbrig at gmail.com