Error in docs about "file creation date"

Wilhelm Sanke sanke at hrz.uni-kassel.de
Thu May 24 15:47:10 EDT 2007

On Wed, 23 May 2007,Richard Gaskin <ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:

> Right now Rev uses the OS APIs to get the file info, so it's about as
> efficient as it can be.
>
> I can see the benefit of using EXIF, but since this requires additional
> work and processing time, and only applies to a subset of a very small
> number of file tyes, this sounds like an excellent candidate for an
> external.
>
> Anyone here interested in writing it?
>
> -- Richard Gaskin Fourth World Media Corporation

I do not know if he is interested and would have the time, but I think
Alex Tweedly, author of the wonderful "libEXIF" stack, would be the
ideal candidate.

I have tried to "tweak" his stack a little to retrieve the "original
dates" from all image files of a folder. Execution time per image file
is from 13 to 40 milliseconds depending on what amount of date I get
from the "original date" line of Alex's variable "alltags" (i.e. only
the "original date" or with filename and/or seconds etc.).

I left the stack script intact and edited only the "test" button to get
only the original-date lines. This means that the stack - as before -
first retrieves *all* EXIF data in the stack script before only the date
line is accessed from the changed button script.

Would Alex rewrite his stack script to concentrate on the "original
date", I believe the execution speed per image file would be only about
5 milliseconds or even less. An external based on his algorithms would
surely be astonishingly fast.

Best regards,

Wilhelm Sanke
<http://www.sanke.org/MetaMedia>