Family punchups

Jerry Muelver jerry at hytext.com
Sat Mar 24 10:04:00 EDT 2007

Richmond Mathewson wrote:
> Why do I have a "funny feeling" that as Ubuntu seems
> to gain Linux dominance it also seems to be acquiring
> some rather unpleasant facets previously only seen
> with commercial operating system?
>
> It has "climbed into bed with Google" - who next we
> wonder ?
>
> All you lovers of liberty and non-conformity, methinks
> tis time to move on elsewhere!

"Liberty and non-conformity", while enjoyable, are not an appropriate
be-all and end-all for a creative, or even productive, experience.
Standardization and conformity can offer freedom from constant
relearning, widget-juggling, and irksome negotiating with the interface
just to get a job done. Consider the haiku, and the freedom its severe
constraints offer the poet.

It's not the limitation of the tool that matters, but what you can do
within those limitations.

---- Jerry Muelver