MatchText, MatchChunk and the needle in the haystack

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Mon Mar 19 15:54:33 EDT 2007

On Mar 19, 2007, at 11:24 AM, Bryan McCormick wrote:

> Jim,
>
> Thanks for the script snippet. It didn't quite work as shown, but
> it did get me to think about the problem more carefully. I came up
> with this:
>
> put "-Jan-,-Feb-,-Mar-,-Apr-,-May-,-Jun-,-Jul-,-Aug-,-Sep-,-Oct-,-
> Nov-,-Dec-" into mthStrings

Bryan,

Is it possible that the original text string is not using hyphens
consistently? Could there perhaps be en-dash and/or em-dash
characters there, which look just like hyphens in monospaced fonts.
If the original text was created in MS Word, for example, it often
auto-substitutes en- or em-dashes for hyphens.

Just a thought.

Devin

Devin Asay
Brigham Young University