Impressed: it has been years since I've been hacked this well :(

David Bovill david at openpartnership.net
Fri Jun 15 09:39:06 EDT 2007

On 15/06/07, Ian Wood <revlist at azurevision.co.uk> wrote:

> At the risk of sounding condescending, this is almost infinitely more
> likely. ;-) If not from a hidden movie then from a Flash ad with
> audio - I've come across these a couple of times and they are a right
> pain!
>
> I kind of assumed that you'd quit all running applications and was
> still getting the audio coming through.

You are right - I should have ruled this out more carefully. If I
remember right I did quit FireFox and the sounds did keep playing -
but I think this happens for a short while in any case? It seems to me
in the light of morning that this is the most likely - it just felt
like someone talking to me and continuing a conversation I'd had
recently - the paranoia part.

Would be good to be able to search the cache for all embedded movies
and media - unfortunately I know of no easy way to do that - Spotlight
does not index the cache. Anyone know of any tools - is the cache for
Firefox compressed or plain text - maybe I'll write a little Rev based
tool to search for these culprits - so they can be caught more easily?

I've gone and had a mini security audit - from a friend. It seems
no-one has had root access to the machine, and I've been the only
user. No malware found or strange processes running - EavesDrop (a
socket listener) had been logging everything going in and out for the
last 9 hours - and I feel a bit happier.

Installed this little sucker - Little Snitch - comes well recommended
- http://www.obdev.at/products/littlesnitch/index.html - asks for
permission before anything goes in and out. So nothing leaves my
laptop at the moment unless I give it permission!

Thanks - everyone (and lets not get into a flame war about guns -
personally i was only kidding).