Menu problem / question on Macs

David Bovill david at openpartnership.net
Mon Jun 11 09:47:17 EDT 2007

I want to find out the name of the button clicked on when the user selected
a menu... and am having a problem with using "the short name of the target"

If used the menu builder to create my menu (Say its called "Problem Menu"),
and rather than adding a handler to the button of each menu item I put the
following handler in the group script (click "Edit menu bar Script"):

on mouseDown
>     put the short name of the target
>     pass mouseDown
> end mouseDown

This works fine for clicking on the menu group directly as you would with
windows / linux, - so say you click on a "Test" menu that you created  -
Test" would be put into the message box as expected. But if you make "set as
Menu Bar on Mac OS" -- the name you get returned is the name of the group
with the handler in ie "Problem Menu" :(

I've had this problem before - which I think is related to the way in which
the message is "sent" - but this time i can see no work around for what I am
trying to do - so is there any way to find out the real target?