Mac Icon problem

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sun Jun 10 23:05:25 EDT 2007

Thomas McCarthy wrote:
> building a standalone with Rev 2.8.1 on my Mac 10.3.9
> My apps are not displaying the icon I've assigned to them....it worked before.
>
> Anyone else have this problem?

All the time, it's a Mac OS X Finder glitch. Here are some things I've
tried. All of them work sometimes, but only a couple of them work all
the time. They all try to do the same thing, which is to force the
Finder to rebuild its data cache.

1. Zip the app, then unzip it. Works almost always.

2. Run this applescript, which works some of the time:

   tell application "Finder"
     update "path:to:my:application"
   end tell

3. Select the app in the Finder, do "Get Info" on it. Click on the icon
box and type the Delete key. Works about half the time.

4. In a terminal window, or in a Rev shell command, run a "touch"
command. This works (so far) all the time. This is the one I'm using the
most lately. In Rev:

   get shell("touch path/to/my/application")

Also, if you wait long enough, eventually the Finder will figure out it
needs to update its cache and the icon will miraculously appear. This
can happen any time from minutes to days, depending on usage.

If you send your app to someone else or copy it to another machine, the
right icon will always appear. The problem is only on the build machine.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com