Curious QT playback problem

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Thu Jun 7 14:00:07 EDT 2007

Dave Cragg wrote:

> On 7 Jun 2007, at 03:59, J. Landman Gay wrote:
>
>> the script gets the currentTime, checks every 250 milliseconds, and
>> when the currentTime remains unchanged, assumes the playback is done.
>> Then it moves on to the next file.
>
>  From what you describe, it sounds like either the currentTime isn't
> reported correctly, or there is some kind of delay at the start of play
> so the currenttime doesn't change (stuck at 0) in the first 250
> milliseconds. Do you reset the timer at the start of each clip?

Yes.

> I could
> imagine some over-enthuiastic virus-checker causing a delay as you
> switch files in the Player, and possibly when QuickTime tries to start
> playing the file. Or a very full hard drive.

The virus checker problem occured to me. I asked my client to ask his
customer if she has set the checker to examine files when they open. If
so, we'll see what happens if she turns it off temporarily. The delay in
opening the file would cause the problem; it was the only thing I could
think of. I'm glad to hear you think it might cause the problem too.

> Off the top of my head, set the currentTime to 0 for each clip, then
> check that the currentTime hasn't changed AND that it is not 0.

It didn't add the "not 0" part, it's true. If we have to recompile I'll
do that.

> (Using the playStopped message would be easier. :-))

Too true, and by the next iteration of the engine I could have...but I'm
hoping not to have to rebuild then app. It's been 3 years, development
is closed, and this is such an isolated incident.

I'm hoping the virus checker is the problem. ;)

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com