There's no place like Home

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Thu Jun 7 14:20:26 EDT 2007

Richard Gaskin wrote:

> While the Home stack is in the message path in both HyperCard and Rev,
> it isn't among the backScripts.  BackScripts were introduced in
> SuperCard and later added to MetaCard/Revolution, but that specific
> mechanism was never supported in HyperCard.
>
> HyperCard did support libraries ("start using..."), but the Home stack
> isn't list among those either.
>
> It seems the Home stack is a special case, inserted into the message
> path automatically without either of those mechanisms.  Given that the
> development engine requires it there's nothing we can do about that;
> whether we show it or not that required stack will still be in the
> message path during development in any IDE.

Right. Trivia: When you "start using" a stack, its script is inserted
ahead of the Home stack (for HC compatibility.) When you insert a
backscript, the script is inserted behind the Home stack, closer to the
engine.

In the MC IDE (and also the Rev IDE I think, but I'm not positive) it
doesn't matter since Home doesn't insert its own script in either way.
But in a standalone, the main stack acts like the Home stack and it may
make a difference which syntax you use.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com