game-based learning

Tereza Snyder tereza at califex.com
Mon Feb 5 13:35:04 EST 2007

On Feb 2, 2007, at 12:32 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> Somewhere out there is a game waiting to be created, something that
> will open up the world of entertainment software to a whole new
> audience that isn't currently into games.
>
> Or as I once put it at a game developer meeting:  Where is the
> "Catcher  in the Rye" of games, the thing that will appeal to
> people who like rich, provocative entertainment but aren't
> attracted to current game play models?
>
> Maybe it'll be made by one of the readers of this list....

Maybe me! In my next life, I guess.

Like Richard, my eyes were opened by Myst (well, actually by Spelunx,
its predecessor, which BTW I'd love to find a copy of). I am bored
bored bored by most games nowadays and so actively repelled by the
pervasive violence that even though I belong to the Game Developers
Association, I regard it chiefly as a theoretical study. However, may
I recommend the SIGs of International Game Developers Association as
a venue for making connections:

http://www.igda.org/SIGs/

in particular, the education SIG:

http://www.igda.org/education/