Unicode again

Pamela Kyle Crossley pkc at mac.com
Tue Sep 19 09:05:02 EDT 2006

Ocer the years a few of us have worked extensively with unicode and I
think people tend to get better results (I do) in Rev when
transferring the text as HTML.

In most cases I take the text of an input field and set the textFont
of it to unicode (this will render UTF-16, as noted).

Then I put the htmlText of the same field somewhere else I want it to
be.

That text, when displayed as htmlText in subsequent fields, will
render Unicode pretty consistently correct. I have used it for
Chinese (both systems), Japanese, Korean and Russian.

It is true that Microsoft does a few things that look eccentric
relating to Unicode, but mostly I think it is the usual carelessness
and assumption that MS users don't have any sophisticated needs.
Fortunately I don't have to mess with MS much, and my apps work well
enough when built for MS users.  I figure they are all willing to put
up with the defects, otherwise they would get real computers. So, if
they're happy, so am I.