RR Forums

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Mon Sep 4 17:31:49 EDT 2006

Lynn-

Monday, September 4, 2006, 8:09:36 AM, you wrote:

> - Articles/writing can be organized more topically than in mailing lists.
> Sure, there are threads in mailing lists, but that doesn't tie together all
> threads on a particular subject.

> - Forums allow post-posting editing/reorganizing by the writer and by the
> moderator/admin.

> - Forums allow a form of communal segmentation if that is desirable. If all
> you want to do is hang on the K-12 forum, then you can hang there with
> others that care about it.

> - Forums are more territorial than mailing lists and that brings with it a
> few benefits to the forum owner.

> I recognize there are downsides to forums, too.

Thank you. I'm more oriented toward the mailing list approach, and as
Richard Gaskin points out, I appreciate having all posts come my way
even if I decide to ignore them. But you have laid out here the first
logically compelling rationalization I've seen for the advantages of a
web forum. I'd still like to have the phpBB email option enabled on
the rev forum, but now I'm looking forward to joining up.

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net