RR Forums

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Mon Sep 4 15:25:51 EDT 2006

hmmm, seems this is a sensitive area.

Well, I certainly never meant to imply that the list should go away!
For Heaven's Sake -- No! As an on-going integrated knowledge base it is
possibly *the* most important user resource that Revolution has going for it
and vies with the documentation itself as a mission critical for new people.
once a newbie realizes he can access tools to search the lists, it's
a big time gateway to not re-inventing the wheel and feeling
confident that "Yes, i can do it, just look at these resources!"
Vs saying "Oh gosh, this is so far over my head... forget it..."

Also, to be more accurate, the forums at Expert's Exchange are separate
by virtue of being separate disciplines. The discussion about
Apache web admin has nothing to do with the discussion about CSS.
But within the field of CSS we don't have different forums: like
one forum for CSS Design and one forum for CSS Rules and another forum for
Positioning with CSS-- that would be nuts.

For Revolution, one would be hard put to define
any separate "disciplines" that really warranted forums.
Especially at this stage...

Also as one who is an "amateur programmer" despite years of xtalk
I don't consider myself an expert, and I'm not sure that the distinction
between "newbie" and "expert" is a useful one in any framework in terms
of using that distinction to "chop up" the discourse through some
architecture
that puts hard walls between them.

At Expert's Exchange  the entire model is just the other way round:
newbies and non-expert's are
in direct relationship with experts in the same "field" of discourse.
To lose this will be a disservice to new people, who are lurkers
for the most part, but will spot key things in the discourse of
professionals that spur them on, give them ideas, hope
solutions etc...  even if they never post themselves.
Right now the list is the only place this "silent" interaction can occur
with
such "unfettered" dynamism.

If you cut off newbies from the discourse of expert's, the result
will be that they find it hard to grow and possibly even leave the product.
It would be a major strategic error for any company.