The end of OS9 development

Martin Baxter mb.ur at harbourhosting.co.uk
Tue May 9 06:04:00 EDT 2006

Thanks Mark,

That is the situation as I understood it too, but some comments in this
thread could be taken as suggesting that others know or believe differently.

I agree with your comments. It is inevitable that OS9 support will be
dropped at some point. But I do hope that due warning will be given
before this happens, rather than after. We too have to plan ahead.

I am in the same position as you, with needing to support clients who
run OS9. And I wouldn't criticise them for it because I understand their
position, indeed I use OS9 myself for tasks where I have no compelling
reason to upgrade existing software that works fine. Some time ago I
moved much of my own work to WinXP to escape the crippling economics of
Apple ownership. When it comes to the crunch I would probably advise my
clients to consider that too, and only convert to X if they can afford
to feed Apple on an annual basis.

Sounds like when the Classic engine actually arrives then I should
upgrade while the going's good. :-)

Martin Baxter