._ files

Robert Brenstein rjb at robelko.com
Thu Mar 9 13:49:20 EST 2006

>Robert Brenstein wrote:
>>For those wondering about those ._ files, here is the explanation
>>from the "guilty" party, Apple itself:
>>
>>http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106510
>>
>>For most files, these ._ are actually empty and in case of Rev
>>stacks safely ditched.
>
>So in all cases where the file has no resource fork (many Classic
>file, most OS X files, and just about all Rev stacks, MP3s, MPEGs,
>and more) it's merely a waste of time and space.
>
>That Apple provides no option for the user to be able to decide
>whether this happens is an unfortunate design decision.
>
>That Apple does this for files that have no resource fork is a bug.
>
>That is, it would be a bug but another poster here already pointed
>out that no software vendor in the world 'cept RunRev ever ships
>anything with known bugs. ;)
>
>--
>  Richard Gaskin
>  Managing Editor, revJournal

Well, no, it is not exactly a bug in the way you present it. I
simplified above (distorted the truth if you wish) saying that files
are empty: they contain at least a single line with Finder info, like
file type and creator, which is good enough reason to create that
file even for files with no resource fork.

Robert