Dependence on Programming Experts

Judy Perry jperryl at ecs.fullerton.edu
Sat Jul 15 02:28:52 EDT 2006

Scott,

Respectfully ('cuz I did buy your guage thingy, which I love, btw, and
would have bought the audio library thingy too if I hadn't been blindsided
by my financial 'bookings in Monterey-Mexico' problem):

Did you read the rest of my post?

(1)  Multiple ways of doing things confuse newcomers.  If you've ever
learned a second (or third or...) language, you may see my point.  Heck, I
even see this in trying to teach a brief fly-by in UI design with my CS
students.  They end up liking the 3 quick rules by Mullet & Sano... NOT
because they like reading the artsy-whatever stuff referenced, but because
they present three simple, reasonably comprehensible, RULES that don't
involve thinking about, well, artsy things.  Rules-based.  Fewer than a
half-dozen ways to do things tolerably well.  And that half-dozen pretty
much covers the spectrum of UI design as opposed to three or four or...
different ways of doing ANY ONE THING.

(2)  Especially with respect to the history of Lingo, "multiple" ways of
doing things, when they include more "concise" (read: obtuse) ways of
doing, virtually guarantee that pretty much every single reference on the
subject will reference FIRST the obtuse way (if not ONLY the obtuse way).
Pick up just about any book on  Lingo or Director and estimate how many
references are for dot.syntax versus verbose Lingo.  Better still, take a
look at a good half-dozen or so to see where these "options" lead, and,
worse, the ignominous end of the "standard" they are optioning.

It's not that I am a completely retarded idiot and cannot understand x =
5, but I have read the multiple writings on the wall with respect to
"options" that ultimately aren't and overtake the "standard"/verbose ways
of doing things.

If I wanted to learn C, I just would.  But I don't.

Judy