Printing problem on Windows machine

Timothy Miller gandalf at doctortimothyMiller.com
Wed Jan 11 22:18:52 EST 2006

  Hi Sarah,

Oops. This is my second reply. A few seconds ago, Eudora
automatically snipped part of the quoted message, and I overlooked a
typo. Here it goes again:

**************************

The wise and generous person subscribes to the list. I think I'll
hand your question off to him. He might prefer to post his own script.

I'll quote the brief description he sent to me. I don't think he'd mind:

Begin quote

The way it basically works is to copy each field from the card to a
printing stack. If a field is larger than a page, then it creates a
second card in the printing stack and copies the large field to that
card. It then divides up the text between the two fields in the
printing stack. It continues this process until enough cards with
copies of the large field have been created to hold all of the text
without any of it getting lost.

End quote

If I understand the suggested script, the general approach is to use
"Print Card" or "Print Stack" instead of printfield. As far as I can
tell, Print Card works fine on my Windows machine, as long as I get
the print rect and printmargins right.

Printfield seems to work okay in Windows, as long as the printed
output is no longer than one page. The printer goes crazy on page two
and subsequent pages. I suppose this is a known problem. I can't get
to bugzilla at the moment.

There are probably other workarounds. For instance, it might be
possible to shuttle lines in and out of the field, so it never
contains more than one printable page, then use printfield
repeatedly, then replace the original text when printing is
completed. I don't know -- haven't tried that.

Any other ideas?

What a pain in the neck! It would be WAY easier to start using my
Friendly Macintosh again. I had some other reasons to try my stacks
on my Windows machine, but it might not be worth the trouble, and
it's probably bad karma.

I hope this was a teensy bit helpful.

Cheers,

Tim