Tearing my hair out

Marty Knapp martyknapp at comcast.net
Sun Jan 8 01:28:31 EST 2006

J. Landman Gay wrote:

> Marty Knapp wrote:
>
>> I've been making Revolution stacks for a number of years, but always
>> for myself, so rarely built standalones. And on those rare occasions
>> when I did, I never used a menubar. So I've been working on a program
>> for months and it's been going very smoothly, almost ready to release
>> it, and one of the last things on my list was the menubar. So I
>> inserted a menubar using the Menu Builder (and making absolutely no
>> changes). Then all hell broke loose. My Windows builds work fine, but
>> the OSX standalone crashes on launch. If I go back to my stack and
>> simply uncheck "Use as menubar on OSX" and build a standalone it
>> works fine. And if I start with a fresh blank stack and insert a
>> default menubar, build as standalone it does work.
>

> Do you have any utilities or other software that add icons to the
> right side of the menu bar? Or anything that alters it in any way?
> Maybe something like that would cause a conflict. (Just guessing,
> since I've never seen what you describe and I've built a lot of Mac OS
> X menu bars.)

I have a couple - for Norton and Now Contact/Up To Date. I removed them,
with no effect.

> Do you have any handlers that run on launch which refer to the menu
> bar, or change its contents, or anything like that?

No. In fact, I barely need a menubar as I have pretty much everything
out where you need it. The only thing I really need is to intercept the
quit message to ask the user if they want to save the data (to text
files) I may just use the "shutdownRequest" to do that and forget the
menubar.

> Do your menus have any scripts? Or are you just testing with an empty
> menu bar?

Just an empty menu bar. . .

Thanks Jacque,

Marty Knapp