Transcript and Dot Notation

Mark Smith mark at maseurope.net
Sat Feb 25 12:10:32 EST 2006

I agree. Any extension to transcript should surely be as natural to
it as possible. Adopting non-xTalk-like syntax wholesale from other
languages would make any real OO stuff more like using applescript or
VBScript in Rev, which is fine and useful, but would tend to be
attractive only to those who already know their stuff, while those
who don't would most likely ignore the possible benefits available.

Of course, any OO extension to Transcript is going to involve us in
some kind of learning curve (like the one for those of us coming from
Hypercard and trying to figure out custom properties), but a
transcript-like syntax will surely make the curve less steep, and
therefore taken on by more people.

As Dan points out with the example of SmallTalk, dot notation is not
necessarily the only or best way to do OOP, however many other
languages use it. I can remember some thread on the list about using
"=" as an assignment operator, with some people in favour of it
simply because they were used to it in other languages. This didn't
seem like a strong argument to me, and fortunately not to the RunRev
people, either. (OK, I know it can be used in Global and Local
declarations, but as some wise man once said "if you think it's
possible to be completely consistent in everything, then show us by
example!")

Mark