Menu madness

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Aug 16 17:45:10 EDT 2006

Robert Sneidar wrote:

> Apparently since Menus are nothing more than a group of buttons in
> Revolution that are hidden, Revolution "compensates" for this by
> changing the height of the card. I personally think this is a bug.

Actually it's a feature, and a very useful one.

The biggest challenge with menus comes from Rev being multi-platform.
On Mac the menu bar is separate from the window at the top of the
monitor, and on all other OSes it's bound to the top of the window.

So for most of your audience (without even trying I get four times as
many Windows customers as Mac) the natural placement of the group of
menu buttons at the top of the window works great just as you see it.

To deal with Mac OS, the portion of the window occupied by the menu
group is cropped, and the menus are displayed in the menu bar as your
users will expect.

This behavior is pretty convenient:  it's automatic once you add a menu
bar group to your stack; without having to write a single line of code
you get the expected appearance on all platforms.

> I would like to be able to set a property that tells Revolution what
> the default height for cards in a stack are, and then I can change
> that on the fly

See the editMenus property:  Turn it on, and the menu group is visible
(though I'm not sure why anyone would want to do that on Mac OS).

> Also you should consider setting the menu to act as a background so
> you do not have to replicate it.

Excellent suggestion.

For more on working with menus, check out the Menus online conference stack:
<http://downloads.runrev.com/section/scriptingconferences.php>

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal