[Ticket#: 2006040510000641] Re: [OT] Articles to read

Dan Shafer revolutionary.dan at gmail.com
Sat Apr 8 13:59:48 EDT 2006

Marielle.......

That was one of the strangest posts I've ever gotten on a mailing list. I
went back and read my original message and for the life of me I can't figure
out what you're trying to tell me.

The only point I made was that sometimes -- stress that word -- what one
person sees as a bug or defect in the product is more a function of their
personal usage or system configuration. So when someone posts a complaint on
this list -- and contrary to your apparent view of me, I've done that tons
of times myself -- it is *sometimes* not really a product defect or bug but
rather a conflict between what they expect and what they experience that is
explainable by reasons other than bugs in Rev.

Does Rev have bugs? Absolutely. I'd be astonished if it didn't. Is this an
appropriate forum in which to discuss such bugs? Absolutely. Particularly in
an effort to determine if a particular experience *is* a bug or just a
mis-understanding or a result of inaccurate documentation. I do not believe
you can cite one instance where I have criticized anyone here for reporting
a bug. I have corrected misperceptions about bugs and I have added my voice
to a chorus saying, "That's not really a bug." But I don't believe I have
ever invalidated a person's experience; I'm just not made that way.

It is hardly the case that *anyone* on this list engages in the behavior you
describe in the paragraph I've excerpted below from your very long diatribe.
A few criticisms that were not repeatable in my experience and which seemed
to me to be potentially due to issues that were not *directly* related to
Revolution have certainly been subjects to which I have responded with
justification or correction. You imply that all such criticisms are valid
and should not be replied to other than in a positive, supportive manner. I
would find that useless as a form of communication.

I don't know what I've done to offend you that would cause you to take the
time away from what I presume is a busy schedule to write so long and
detailed a response, but if I have personally offended you in any way, I
apologize.