The Rev IDE Doesn't Suck

simplsol at aol.com simplsol at aol.com
Tue Oct 18 12:25:31 EDT 2005

Spence,
  Either your experiences with Rev or your expectations are different
than mine. I am not talking about "perfection", just basics.
  For example: "Stability". If I save my work after every action, I can
get through an entire day without a crash. If I do not save my work
constantly (old HyperCard behavior) Rev will crash in about an hour.
(The crash seems to be related more to the amount of time used than any
specific action, for instance, if it is time, Rev will crash just
opening the docs - something it usually does without drama.) Rev will
even crash just sitting open on the desktop, doing nothing! I am using
OS X 10.4 on an Al PB with 1 Gig of Apple installed RAM - I have the
same problems on a Ti PB using 10.3, and various iMacs.
  You are right about extendability. You can work around many of Rev's
problems with Richard's Devolution, Jerry's Gadgets, and assorted
plugins from Frederic and Chipp. But should you need to install a
plugin to get the cursor to work properly?!? It is nice to have a
choice of script editors, but shouldn't the one shipping with the
product "work"? How many people know that they need to get a plugin
 from Chipp to actually remove the debug checkpoints Rev only appears to
remove?
  Certainly there has been progress since version 1 - and nothing a
couple pure "bug fix" upgrades can't handle. I just expect Rev to be "a
little more perfect" than it is today - and I am concerned that fixing
77 bugs a quarter in not enough, soon enough.
I am glad to hear that you are satisfied.
 Paul Looney