Constellation's Great, But the Rev IDE Doesn't Suck

James Spencer jspencer78 at mac.com
Mon Oct 17 21:46:45 EDT 2005

On Oct 17, 2005, at 8:11 PM, simplsol at aol.com wrote:

> Dan,
>  I, for one, think you are being way too kind to the Rev IDE. The
> debugger opens at random sizes. Buttons and bits of buttons float
> around the script editor. Opening the Variable Watcher opens the
> Object Inspector (on top of the VW window on my system). The
> Variable Watcher doesn't watch variables reliably (the clickLine is
> a particular problem in my work). Hard to believe a Version 2.x
> product could have so many basic "flaws and rough edges and quirks".
> Go Jerry, go!
> Paul Looney

I disagree.  We are not at version 2.x, we are 2.6.1.  At 2.1 your
comment was valid but in its current incarnation, I find the IDE, at
least the OS X IDE, to be a solid useable product.  It is not perfect
but it's "close enough for government work."  The fact is that Rev is
an incredibly complicated product and perfection is not to be
expected.  I'm always astounded at how well it works.

That having been said, one of the really, really cool things about
Rev is that the IDE is infinitely extendable and modifiable: if its
work flow bugs you, then change it.  In this regard, I completely
agree with Dan's comments.  As good as the standard IDE is, for me
Constellation is a great, great tool, one that for my purposes really
enhances Rev and makes me just want to write applications and lets me
do so faster.  This environment, enhanced with Constellation and its
related tools, is simply a blast and I think I'll go write some code.

Spence

James P. Spencer
Rochester, MN

jspencer78 at mac.com

"Badges??  We don't need no stinkin badges!"