Be Cautious About MySQL Licensing

Stephen Barncard stephenREVOLUTION at barncard.com
Sun May 15 04:08:24 EDT 2005

Ruslan,
Understood. That is a perfect use for Valentina or Chipp's product -
as an imbedded database. I wasn't questioning that.

But many others like myself are making custom front ends that use a
database to share information among users on a network, or just a
great way to deal with data, even for one user. By using an ISP based
database, and not setting up a server myself, I'm able to concentrate
on the application, and not deal with setup, licensing, backups,
redundant power, a fast connection, and maintenance. That is what I
was referring to.

One certainly doesn't have to pay a license if one make an app that
utilizes MySQL but doesn't imbed it in the product. With people
setting up blogs everyday, mainstream users are becoming quite
familiar with SQL databases. It not just for geeks anymore.

sqb