Be Cautious About MySQL Licensing (was Re: Database suggestions?)

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Sun May 15 04:16:12 EDT 2005

--- Ruslan Zasukhin <sunshine at public.kherson.ua>
wrote:
> On 5/15/05 10:41 AM, "Stephen Barncard"
> <stephenREVOLUTION at barncard.com>
> wrote:
>
> Hi Stephen,
>
> > AGAIN, gentlemen, I say, why bother with running
> (and worrying about)
> > your own server and licensing when there are good
> ISP's out there
> > that INCLUDE MYSQL along with one's account, like
> PHP, python, perl,
> > shell, etc.
>
> Because we talk here about Application Developers,
> Which develop Applications such as Games,
> Accounting, Emailers, ..
> And distribute them on CD/DVD to thousands of users.

Not to mention the fact that if you're writing
business applications, most businesses will want to
store their sensitive data on their own server,
preferably on a segment of the network that is heavily
ptotected from the evil internet.

MySQL may be a fine choice for internet-applications,
but when you need high-end features such as views,
triggers and stored procedures in a database that
offers before-imaging and after-imaging to resurrect
your database in a logically consistent way if you
lose power in the middle of a huge transaction, then
MySQL just won't cut it.

Don't get me wrong, I've used it before, to experiment
with, as well as for quick in-house solutions (because
it's darn convenient to use) -- and I know that
they're working on adding those high-end features. But
MySQL is not the alpha and omega of databases.

All in all, it's jsut a matter of picking the right
database for the job at hand: if you need a quick
embedded single-user database that does Mac + Win +
Linux, then altSQLite is your best pick.

If you like the object-relational features of
Valentina and only need Mac + Win, then grab it --
it's a great database and also comes in a server
version.

And by all means, don't be shy about getting Oracle
for your project if you are building a solution that
needs to support a huge load of users and figure out
rhe load-balancing nd all that fun.

Personally, I like PostgreSQL because it offers the
high-end features that I seek, and is TRUELY free.

My two eurocents,

Jan Schenkel.

Quartam - Tools for Revolution
<http://www.quartam.com>