Run 2 installs of Rev?

Marty Knapp martyknapp at comcast.net
Sun Mar 27 03:23:22 EST 2005

Hey Richard,

> Glad you got a good solution for your Miva project.  I've been looking
> at a third-party extension for Miva for a similar purpose, but I'm
> inclined to modify the mmui.mv file directly to call a Rev-based CGI
> (probably no better than the third-party Miva solution, but more fun to
> work with <g>).

I've tinkered with some existing cgi scripts (never written anything from
the ground up, though) and have heard others talk here about Rev-based cgi
enough that I'm getting more curious. I'm sure at some point I'll dive in a
and give it a try! I, too, looked at some available modules, but they were a
little pricey for what I needed. It took a little time to put together my
Rev solution, but it was fun too. I've always like tweaking things to work
the way I want them to. It's great to be able to build your own apps to
serve unique needs.

> As for your question, you can build a simple standalone that opens that
> stack file when launched.  I had a similar need, to run a number of
> internal apps here, and since I'm always doing weird stuff with the
> engine I need to have a separate app running those utilities outside of
> my dev environment.  I made a simple one-window stack and have been
> using it for years.

I've thought about that, but it was easier to make a copy of my Rev app and
run my stack that way. I can then do other development projects in "copy A"
while my stack is running in "copy B" (and easily make changes to it). Once
I feel like it's pretty much how I want it, I'll go the stand-alone route.
So far the 2 Rev solution seems to be working fine.

It would be great to hear about your Miva solution as you progress on it.

--
Marty Knapp
<http://www.BumperSnickerz.com>