help with HTML escaping...

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Sun Mar 27 15:51:40 EST 2005

Yes, I do this  a lot ...  dealing with diacriticals in books that have
to go out to the web. Complete transformations of one font into another
font (every single character gets replaced), fixing broken links in
100's of web pages... I have found absolutely nothing that can do this
as efficiently as Revolution.   Sometimes transforming characters
across thousands of files. Operations that may take only 22 seconds
across 3,000 web pages (on the LAN) in Revolution, would take hours in
GoLive and probably GoLive would simply choke in the end.  Because it
is doing so much tracking and updating of it's internal data base of
the webSite. I've been using my Rev App for 4 years and *never* had a
single failure, bad write or corrupt file, not once.

First rule: Don't read data into a field.

Basic implementation is to get a list of paths to files that need work
in one field called "fileList"

then run scripts against those files like this, where the fld ""sNr" is
a series of lines with

[stringToReplace] tab [stringToChangeTo] in each line.

I keep a library of these "arrays" in a substack and pass them to fld
"sNr"

writes to a new file, same name with galley # added.

on mouseUp
   set the cursor to watch
   put ticks() into tStart
   put empty into fld "resultList"
  answer "This operation will output a new file with " & quote & "2" &
quote & cr &\
"appended to the file name. Continue?" with "No" or "Yes"
if it is "No" then exit MouseUp
set the caseSensitive to (the hilite of btn "Case sensitive")
   set the itemdel to tab
   put fld "sNr" into tChanges
   put fld "fileList" into tFileList

   repeat for each line y in tFileList
     set the itemdel to tab

     put url ("file:"&y) into tFileData

     repeat for each line z in tChanges
       replace (item 1 of z)  with (item 2 of z) in tFileData
     end repeat

     if the hilite of btn "Write New File" then
     set the itemdel to "."
     put item 1 of y &"-g2" & ".txt" into x
     put tFileData into  url ("file:"&x)
     else
     put tFiledata into url ("file:"&y)
     end if

end repeat
   calcTime(tStart)
end mouseUp

It's  actually incredibly simple.

If you want the stack, let me know off line..it's a bit of a mess but
works great.

Sivakatirswami