"rather not have apps... from a web page"

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun Mar 27 02:28:28 EST 2005

Len Morgan wrote:
> The users of the 500 workstations wouldn't have a problem with an exe
> being installed on their machine - most of them wouldn't have a clue
> what I was talking about.  The problem was the network administrator
> (who has the keys to the door we'd have to get through to get the
> programming contract).  HE is the one who objects to having anything
> loaded on the workstations.
>
> His objections really center  around maintenance since he doesn't want
> to have to "touch" 500 machines every time there is an upgrade.  That is
> an understandable concern on his part and what I was looking for was a
> way to automatically distribute the code that would take (almost) no
> work on the end users part, AND be upgradeable simply (from the user's
> point of view).

Just make your app a single-window executable which periodically checks
your server for updates and downloads them.  You can do it all from
within your app, so the admin doesn't have to do another install
everytime you update and you save your users the step of going to
another program (the browser) to get updated.

You're welcome to borrow any useful parts you need from the devolution
setup stack:

<http://www.fourthworld.com/products/devolution/>

--
  Richard Gaskin