files, names and files

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Fri Jun 24 16:59:45 EDT 2005

I can't add much to Richard's excellent explanations, except to
confirm that for me as an ex-HyperCarder the indirect relationship
between the name of the stack in the file system and the name
property of the stack was confusing for a long while. Once I trained
myself to refer to the entity represented in the file system as a
"stackfile" and understand it was something different that the
entities it contains -- main stacks and substacks -- the whole rev
world became a lot clearer to me. In HyperCard there was a one-to-one
relationship between the name of the stack and its name in the
Finder: you changed one, you changed both. It was simpler, but I've
found that Rev's way of handling it gives me freedom HyperCard did not.

Regards,

Devin

Devin Asay
Brigham Young University